Response to Thoreau

Response to Thoreau             In Walden Pond, Thoreau is taking extreme effort into contextualizing the idea of living in the primitive state, and attempting to make it sound like it truly is “the better life.” In comparison to Cronan’s ideas about Human involvement, Thoreau seems to be leaning more towards the actual understanding of Human behavior in the world, as oppose to the solutions that need to be met for the preservation of it.             Cronan however brings about a very good point in the evaluation of Thoreau. Cronan states that Thoreau demonstrates a “stern loneliness” in his experience of “wilderness”, at Walden Pond. This is exactly what I felt coming from Thoreau time after time throughout the reading, that with every mention of his friends or of the relatedness animals have with people, Thoreau  seems to give off a longing for human contact, and his necessity to communicate. I believe that Thoreau indeed found “wilderness” living at Walden Pond, not just through surviving it physically, but more importantly mentally.            Cronan states how earlier society viewed the wilderness as evil, and how we as people gradually accepted it as a good thing. I believe that our gradual approval of the wilderness came with our gradual urbanization, which took us away from the idea of the “evil forest.” However living out in the woods without human contact has made people crazy, and it is kind of weird how it messes with one’s mind. In this context, Thoreau did find “wildness” which I define as not only surviving the wild, but enduring the mental stress of not having anyone to talk to is a battle I do not believe I could win.

One Response to “Response to Thoreau”

1. Joshua says:

I do not agree with you on this one. While Thoreau may have ‘found’ wilderness, he does not actually live more independently. In a way he contradicts himself by showing how he often he went to visit neighbors, or how he carried around the ‘classics’ that his society deemed appropriate for him. Not to mention he built a standard house, not a wigwam which he said was better. I found Thoreau, in the end, when compared to other authors to be slightly hypocritical.