Response to William Cronan

Response to William Cronan             William Cronan does a very good job at breaking down the concept of the “wilderness” in order for the guilt factor to develop within the reader. You see throughout the reading how Cronan is nearly worshipping the ideology of the wilderness environment and yet the only real solution that is brought about is that everyone should commit suicide in order for the “wilderness” to go back to the way it was.            In my opinion, Cronan is about fifty fifty alongside my views on the environment and the roles we as humans share with it. When walking through the woods, I too feel the sense of holiness and spiritual atmosphere that seems to engulf the mind. The appreciation of nature seems to be there for the two of us, however Cronan seems to take it a bit to the extreme with the whole “Deep Ecology” mindset that he continuously brings up throughout his work. I believe that Man was put on this earth with the intention of our usage of the materials around us. Humans have the mindset to perfect they’re mode of living, while the beaver per say was given the mindset to build a shelter to the best of its ability which will aid it to the fullest in its survival, “Just Like Humans.”            I myself have also had many wilderness experiences, and enough of them to have what I believe to be a full appreciation of nature in its simplicity. Cronan I believe takes it to the next level though with the talk of DEEP ECOLOGY, however those are his views and I have no room to contradict. His efforts help found organizations for wildlife preservation, and I don’t believe that any harm can come to preserving the environment for the future generations.

One Response to “Response to William Cronan”

1. Joshua says:

I appreciate your honesty on this writing. I believe you are the only one to actually make a reference to the guilt trip these authors try to put us through. I also feel this way and find it humorous that the authors are revolting against the very thing that gives them the privilege to write about what they want. For example, if Europeans never crossed the ocean and founded America, these writers would still be stuck in their tiny European houses writing about their front lawns.