Muir and Milton

Muir and Milton            Muir in his writings expresses an emotion towards nature I don’t believe we have seen yet out of any of the other authors we have read from so far. From Muir, we see not so much talk of preservation methods, or even of human development, but instead we see this character who only distinguishes between the beautiful nature and the nastiness of city life. Muir’s writings only seem to emphasize him and the surrounding wilderness, which he feels must be accomplished by exploring, touching, and climbing over every piece of nature he feels worthy enough of his mountaineering. He finds nature to be a very spiritual thing, as does Whitman and Emerson especially, however does not relate nature to human qualities as does Thoreau, and Muir has a much better appreciation of the environment than did Bello.            As for Cronan’s input on Muirs’ writings, I believe that he would have thought of Muir as a bit over the edge with the whole “mountain man” ideology. Cronan sees “wilderness” as not being natural at all because of it being an ideology we have created. Cronan also stated how we as people should appreciate not just the natural aspects of the environment but also the man-made aspects of it. This is not the case we see with Muir, reading how he has supreme distaste with the city environment and only finds the peace and pleasure of life when out in the wilderness exploring.

One Response to “Muir and Milton”

1. kcataldifsem says:

I agree with what most of your post has to say except for Cronon viewing Muir as to extreme. Cronon was all about the most extreme case in every situationa and I think Muir would be Cronon’s favorite of all the writers so far just because he is so extreme.